Correction: September Meeting: Ansible for day-to-day use. 2018-09-20

September, not October!

I think we are still at Dymon Greenbank this month. Jim can confirm.

Since we had a success last month with everybody getting their Vagrant machines up and doing something, I’d take the opportunity to look at the Ansible playbook I was discussing at OCLUG, but a more detained look so that we all have a better understanding how to build a complicated orchestration of a lot of tasks. It will be a walkthrough and discussion of how it all works and how it is really basic at the detail level. Going over the minutia will explain the abstraction we see at the main playbook. Feel free to install ansible in a Linux VM is you have one on your laptop.

If you have Virtual Box or any other VM system with a recent Linux distribution on it, fire it up and add ansible. If not, get one set up if you want to try anything. We can do some ad hoc commands and a few basic playbooks that do simple tasks. We will refrain from doing anything that requires software installs (hopefully) so that the bandwidth at Dymon will not be an issue. Debian or RedHat based is not an issue, so feel free to pick your own poison :)

Just to be clear about the previous paragraph, I’m not picking on Windows here. While Ansible will work with a subset of Windows as a target, I think you need to have PowerShell and possibly MS Bash available. I have not tried it, so I can’t state that it will have the full functionality. There is probably a requirements page at the Ansible docs site. The control system still has to be a Unix like system as far as I can tell.

If you use docker, that will work as well. If you want to do something more ambitious, creating a Digital Ocean account will also work. I’m considering using Digital Ocean for the November talk, as that will get you some basic Docker familiarity as well. We can discuss at the October Meeting. We can also use the Docker playpen training environment, but that is a transient environment.

Cheers,
Scott

message navigation